Saturday, November 30, 2013

Book Review | The Doctors’ Secrets to a Lifetime of Clear Skin by Drs.Katie Rodan

I've always loved reading short novels. To be more precise, I love reading stories wherein I can relate to, or somehow possible to happen to me. It's probably why those love stories that involve vampires don't appeal to me.

I do love reading books about tips or how-to's. They're very useful, practical and most of the time, works! I'm particularly loving this booklet "The Doctor's Secrets to a Lifetime of Clear skin" by Katy Rodan, M.D., and Katy Fields, M.D.


It's a short but packed with information that anyone will use. Some of them most of us know already, but a lot of them really made more sense and validate (or invalidate) some myths about skin care. This booklet is an easy-read guide with 30-doses of skin-care wisdom from the Stanford-trained dermatologist who revolutionized the treatment of acne by creating Proactiv Solution.

Some of my favorites are:

6: Turns out, you are what you eat... Sometimes.

We were told that by eating chocolate or something equally indulging will cause breakouts. Not necessarily true. It all depends in how we (our body) individually reacta to certain food.
My dermatologist for the longest time told me to stay away from shellfish, because Iodine can cause breakouts (it really affects our hormones, apparently). That really broke my heart because I love shrimp and mussels! :| But I found out, I can have them and not suffer with breakouts if I have them in moderation.

So my tip for you is before sacrificing food for the sake of vanity, try to jot down the food you eat (like a food diary). If you happen to experience breakouts because of a certain food, try staying away from it and see the difference.

20: Poor pores and follicle follies

I have BIG pores. Yes, I admit, and I've been battling with it ever since my teenage years. But what can I do? It's in my genes. Both of my parents have them, so it's something I will have to accept sooner or later. :|

My dermatologist told me the size of my pores don't matter, as long as it's not clogged up with too much oil ane dead cells. But my problem is, because they're big, they're not just embarassing, the size makes it more vulnerable to build-ups that causes pimples! :(

I read here that some topicals containing glycolic, salicylic acid or retinol can help tighten them up. I should probably try looking for some of those then.

There are so much more to share about this fabulous booklet, but I'd rather you enjoy it yourself. :)
This booklet comes FREE with every purchase of Proactiv 30-day or 60-day kit from Watsons, SM Department Stores, Proactiv mall kiosks, and Proactiv door-to-door delivery. The book is included in the kit, so you don't have to ask for it when you order.

It is fun to read! It's even perfect for people with short-attention span like me. Each item is short but complete, plus it doesn't use any boring or never-heard-of medical terms. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did. :)

1 comment:

  1. great review dear =) say would you like to follow each other? and i'm also inviting you to join my OASAP international giveawy =) hugs from the Philippines ) http://anotsosecretlife2011.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete