Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cake Satin Sugar Duo Dry Shampoo (Powder and Aerosol Spray) - Reviewand Photos


Flipflops, sunnies, hats and sunscreen; summer is finally here!

I don't mean to rain on your parade my dear summer girls, but the inevitable inconveniences of summer really annoys me.

Is it just me or is everyone not a fan of excess oil on your skin and scalp?

While an oil-blotting paper together with an oil-free skin regimen for summer helps in keeping the excess oils on my skin at bay, my battle with an oily scalp is quite different. I've read countless times that the good old baby powder, when used sparingly, can help in minimizing (or zapping out) the excess oils on my scalp. But the risk of having white residues (especially obvious on dark hair) ain't giving a pretty picture, so what do we do?

Answer: dry shampoo

*What is dry shampoo?
Dry shampoo is a powdered substance used to clean the hair when you want to extend the length of a blowout or when it is not practical to use water and traditional shampoo.


*Why use dry shampoo?
Overwashing your hair can dry it out and cause hair color to fade. To preserve your color and maintain moisturized, sleek hair, it is best to wash your hair only 2-3 times per week. Additionally, if you’re strapped for time and you need to freshen up your locks (after the gym, before a night out, etc.), dry shampoo serves as a fantastic option. Modern, busy women swear by dry shampoos!

*How does dry shampoo work?
The ingredients in dry shampoo soak up oil and dirt on the scalp. When your hair appears greasy, it’s usually just the roots (close to the scalp) that need to be refreshed. Applying a dry shampoo effectively soaks up any oil and dirt, leaving your hair looking refreshed and clean.

*How do I use dry shampoo?
There are basically two types of dry shampoos: ones that come in a loose powder form and ones that come in an aerosol (spray) form. Powder dry shampoos can be applied directly on to the scalp from the bottle and either brushed through or massaged in using your fingers. Dry shampoo aerosols can be sprayed directly onto the scalp from a few inches away and likewise may need to be brushed or massaged through the area.

I've been looking for a dry shampoo for the longest time (2 or 3 years). I saw it first on hair tutorials on Youtube, and I've been wanting to try it out. It was only recently that I found one from Dove, and one from Cake.


I was browsing Beauty Bar when I saw this oh-so-pretty products with pink and white packaging: Cake hair products. Their SA let me try it out and I loved it. It's a bit pricey, but considering I got 2 products for that price, I thought it's worth it.


Cake Satin Sugar Duo Dry Shampoo


What do I love about it?
  • First, it smells really good. No wait, it smells really yummy!
  • Second, it doesn't leave any obvious white residue. (Just to be sure, I massage the area to avoid white residue)
  • Third, They come in 2 shades: blonde-light brown (which I'm using) and something for dark-brown to black hair.
  • Fourth, I love the fact that this set came with the loose powder form and the one in aerosol spray form. 
After trying them both, I would say I love the spray form better just because it helps in giving my roots an extra oomph (volume). For regular days, I would use the loose powder form. But when I know I would need to retouch (or when I'm travelling), the spray form is my weapon. It didn't irritate my scalp, caused itchiness nor dandruff.

But I would emphasize that because the product is an additional gunk on our scalp, a clarifying shampoo is a must on your next bath. I would NOT suggest you use this as a replacement for a shampoo during bath time for hygiene purpose, obviously. Nothing beats a squeaky clean hair (in my opinion).

Overall, I really love my first dry shampoo. I'm quite contented and will be happy to stick with it (as long as they will still come as a set).








swatches of the powder
first column: actual powder
second column: blended out

PROS: doesn't leave a white residue, comes in 2 shades, available as a set, doesn't irritate my scalp, smells good, locally available

CONS:  a little pricey, but since it comes as a set, it's totally worth it.


VERDICT:

  I will definitely repurchase!


Where To Buy:
Cake Satin Sugar Duo Dry Shampoo
Beauty Bar, P1250 

No comments:

Post a Comment