Sunday, August 19, 2012

Yoogane - A Hot Korean Food Adventure

Whenever I hear Korean food, a huge serving of kimchi, spicy noodles or Korean BBQ comes to mind.
But here in Yoogane, they're kicking it up a notch when it comes to the Korean food they serve.



Yoogane, the newest addition to the awesome restaurants in Il Terrazzo in Tomas Morato, Quezon City, is a Korean restaurant that serves authentic Korean food. They use fresh ingredients imported from Korea. This idea came about when a group of friends went on a trip to Korea and discovered Dak Galbi, which is one of their specialties. Now what is Dak Galbi?


Dak Galbi is a popular South Korean dish generally made by stir-frying marinated diced chicken in a gochujang (chili pepper paste) based sauce, and sliced cabbage, sweet potato, scallionsonions and tteok (rice cake) together on a hot plate. (source: Wikipedia






Personally, I would describe it as a fusion of Spain's paella and Korea's kimchi. Its a huge serving of rice with chili pepper paste and vegetables. They have it with Bulgogi, chicken or seafood. You have the option to add mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, rice cake and sweet potato slice. I think you can also add ramen noodles also (or you can have it as a side dish).


1 order of Dak Galbi is good for 4 persons. Its a pretty heavy meal, and contrary to how Filipinos eat rice, this shouldn't be consumed as if it's a rice buffet wherein you finish everything in one straight seating. One of the owners shared that Dak Galbi was eaten in Korea like a "pica pica" where a group of friends (or a family) is having drinks. 

Dak Galbi is quite hot! But in a really good way. :) I was a little overwhelmed at first because that was my first taste of authentic Korean food with their signature chili pepper paste. But the more I ate some, the more I found it really delicious. If you're sensitive/allergic with spicy food, I suggest you let the waiter/waitress know so they can adjust it for you. (or just add more mozzarella) 


We also got to try their appetizers. I'm sorry but I don't know what they are called. But I do recommend you try them, especially the coleslaw-like one, to neutralize the hot flavor of Dak Galbi.



Their Chap Chae is pretty good, as well. I particularly like how fresh the ingredients taste. 
You know how vegetables tend to taste a little weird when its served in a restaurant?
Theirs don't taste like that at all. Its not overcooked nor under-cooked.


Now for my favorite dish from Yoogane: the Beef Bulgogi
I cannot even begin on how much I love this dish. The beef is tender, tasty and doesn't leave an overwhelmingly oily taste (suya). Actually, its our favorite dish (me, Janese and Aldous) because its the first dish we finished. Hahaha!


Here's a shot of their interiors. Each table has its own exhaust for the smoke while your food is prepared.
I think this is intended for the Dak Galbi.


For price list reference, here is their menu.




PROS: Food they serve is fresh, delicious, and reasonably priced. Portion size is pretty generous. The place is conveniently located in Il Terrazzo. The service they provide is excellent. I also appreciate the fact that the place is not cramped with tables, making the atmosphere a little more relaxing than other restaurants.

CONS: The menu is a little short. I was hoping they'd be serving more dishes, but given that its a new restaurant, I think that's understandable. I wish they'll serve desserts soon.



VERDICT:

 I will definitely go back!



Yoogane
Ground Floor of Il Terrazzo in Tomas Morato, Quezon City
Like their Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/YooganePhilippines
Follow them on Twitter - https://twitter.com/yooganephil

24 comments:

  1. hahaha..parating nakatakip mukha ko..

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Korean food and whenever we feel like eating Korean dishes, we just go to the nearest Korean grocery and prepare everything here at home. We have a stock of chili paste, kimchi and soju

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing.. i also love korean dishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't know Yoogane has reasonably-priced food items. All the while, I thought they'd offer expensive dishes like other Korean restaurants in major malls. Anyway, you got me interested and I'll definitely be visiting Yoogane soon!

    xoxo,
    The Purple Doll

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing.. another new place to visit

    ReplyDelete
  6. For this comex it makes me hungry. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Sumi on this. The prices are reasonable compared to other Korean establishments. Guess I'll keep this resto in mind if I happen to pass by the area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite interesting to see that they pan fry the stuff instead of grilling them on an open grill like in most Korean restaurants I've tried. I'm curious now whether it's a good thing or a bad thing. Will definitely take note of this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! another korean resto.. ang cute ng place. Will visit this resto once we drop by in QC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gusto ko yan Chap Chae. I'm trying to look for those kinds of noodles to try my own recipe. Not yet successful at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love Korean foods... I wonder if Dak Galbi spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dak Galbi seems to be an interesting dish especially if it was meant to be a pica-pica. I love spicy food so I would definitely put this resto in my list. By the way, I love Chap Chae as well, and seems to be a good dish to counter the Dak Galbi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting, will try Dak Galbi soon when I'm within the area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tried yoogane last week.. We should have ordered the dak galbi fried rice.. Serving looks bigger compared to our order of dak galbi..

    ReplyDelete
  15. i will always love korean food and japanese food also! love chopstick when eating too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Korean food! I hope they''ll open another branch somewhere in makati naman!

    ReplyDelete
  17. With the influx of Korean restaurants around the metro, this would add to my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog about korean cuisine made me crave for korean food again. and made me laugh with your converstion with your friend behind controversialcomments haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love their dak galbi and the ambiance of their restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. share ko lang, last time I went there may promo sila once you reach 750 on your bill may 5 day free pass sa 360 fitness center

    ReplyDelete