Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Red Lips: MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red

Oh red lipsticks, how I love thee. I'm not exactly sure why it's my go-to color. Is it because Marilyn Monroe, one of my favorite icons, made this her signature lip color? Maybe its the way I feel whenever I wear one: confident, strong, and sexy.

Red lipsticks come in different hues, formulas, and packaging. It's not true that red lipsticks are exclusively for fair-skinned women. There are a bunch of different kinds, both drugstore and high-end, that will suit you. All you have to do is try them all until you find your red lipstick.

I decided to choose red lipsticks from different price brackets to emphasize that you don't have to shell out tons of your hard-earned cash to wear and achieve the sultry red lips.


From the high-end part of the spectrum: MAC Russian Red

MAC Russian Red


On the other part of the spectrum: NYX Perfect Red

NYX Perfect Red




MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red

MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red


MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red


MAC Russian Red is matte, blue red, vampy, and super pigmented. It's long-wearing and leaves a good stain on my lips after 4-5 hours since application. Its matte, but not as awfully-drying as Ruby Woo.



NYX Perfect Red is from their Matte lipstick line. So far, this is my favorite among NYX's lip product lines. The shades are awesome. Formula and longevity are way better than that of their round lipsticks. Its a tad brighter than Russian Red.




Now let's compare them :)

As you can see, on the tube, there is an obvious difference with their shades.
Russian Red is darker than Perfect Red.

MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red
MAC Russian Red and NYX Perfect Red


But once swatched on my skin, you really can't tell which is which.
Perfect Red is almost a dupe for Russian Red!


(L-R) Russian Red, Perfect Red, Ruby Woo
(photos of lip swatches to follow)


I'm really happy with these red lipsticks. Don't get me wrong, I love all my red lipsticks. These are my favorites because I love their finish, pigmentation, and longevity. 

To sum it all up, you don't have to be intimidated with red lipsticks. It's just that, there's no such thing as a universal red lipstick that would compliment everyone, but that doesn't mean you won't find something that will suit you. I found these babies because I kept an open mind in trying every single red lipstick I encountered. If I found mine, how hard would it be to find yours? :)


MAC Russian Red, MAC Counters
1000php

NYX Matte Perfect Red, Pretty Goddess
350php

Have you found your red lipstick? What is it? I would love to hear from you. :)



FTC: I purchased these products with my own money. I 'm not getting paid for this post. I'm not affiliated with the brands mentioned. Photos above are owned/taken by yours truly.

8 comments:

  1. Been wanting to wear red lipstick but I'm scared! This was helpful though, wanna try the NYX one. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be scared! Try Chic Red also, pinkish red naman yun :)
      Post pictures once you get yours na ha :)

      Delete
  2. I too have purchased many reds! Have a case full of them! And agree u have to keeptrying till u find the perfect one even if ur light skin like me....I just purchased nyx perfect red online this weekend can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! thanks for this review. I currently use Ruby Woo (yes, it is drying, but it's my 1st ever MAC purchase so I cannot give this up huhuhu) and I am planning on getting MAC Russian Red next time I'm abroad, but for now I am scouring eBay of cheap matte lipstick that I can alternate w/ the Ruby Woo on a daily basis. Saw this Matte Perfect Red of NYX and I need to see reviews of this, albeit it's cheap at 270pesos, so I'd know how it par w/ popular MAC reds. This entry had been helpful. Thanks a bunch~ ^_^ /goes back to reading your other entries! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jelmin! I'm glad this review is helpful :) You will love Russian Red and Perfect Red, I'm sure! :) BTW, do you use a lip liner when you wear red lipsticks? :)

      Delete
    2. I don't use lip liner but I've read red lippies are best worn with them. I recently bought a NYX slim lip liner with that Nyx Matte Perfect Red off ebay. hope it'll be a good pair :)

      Delete
    3. Oooohh.. I haven't tried NYX lip liners yet, but I am intrigued. Please let me know what you think about their lip liners. ;)

      Delete